Ag & Natural Resources
Jeffrey H. Casada
County Extension Agent for Agricultural/Natural Resources
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Agriculture and Natural Resources: The Agriculture and Natural Resources program provides non-formal education in the areas of agricultural production, homeowner plantings, and natural resource utilization. Specific programs include information on food production, farm business management, marketing and processing agricultural products, natural resource management and home lawn and garden information. We address issues dealing with environmental stewardship, the rural-urban interface, and value-added enterprises.
We are taking orders for pear rootstock at $1 each. Rootstock is NOT a fruit tree that can be planted. Rootstock must have scion wood grafted onto it to be a tree. Call the Extension Office at 598-2789 for more information about grafting and to place your order.
NOW TAKING PLANT ORDERS
We are now taking plant orders on Allstar & Earliglow Strawberries $3.25/bundle of 25, Natchez Blackberries $3 each, Patriot & Blue Crop Blueberries $6 each. Tula Magic Raspberries $2 each, Jersey Knight Asparagus $1 each and Candy Onion plants $4 bundle of 60. Plants should be at the Extension Office the first week of April 2017. We will contact you when they arrive. Money is due in advance, when plant order is placed. Make checks payable to: WTA AG Fund. We have publications on these plants at the Extension Office, if you would like to come by and pick one up. This way you can have your ground ready before your plants arrive. Call the Extension Office at 598-2789 for more information about plants and to place your order. Click HERE for plant order form!
(For more information on each program: See Upcoming Programs to the top left, click the links below or call 598-2789.)
- February 4th - 8am - 3:30 pm - Southeast KY Beekeeping School 2017 - Whitley County High School - Flyer
- February 7th - 6 pm - Attracting Wildlife to Accent Your Home & Garden: Bluebird House - EXCEL - $5 - Limit 30 - Flyer
- February 9th - 6 pm - Clay County Cattlemen Association - EXCEL
- February 21st - 6 pm - Attracting Wildlife to Accent Your Home & Garden: Purple Martin Box - EXCEL - $25 - Limit 6 - Flyer
- March 7th - 6 pm - Attracting Wildlife to Accent Your Home & Garden: Wood Duck Box - EXCEL - $15 - Limit 10 - Flyer
- March 9th at 10 am - GRAFTING DEMONSTRATION - Laurel County Extension Office
- March 9th at 1:30 pm - PRUNING DEMONSTRATION - Laurel County - location to be announced
- March 14th - 1:30 pm - PRUNING DEMONSTRATION - location to be determined
- March 21st - 6 pm - Attracting Wildlife to Accent Your Home & Garden: Bat House - EXCEL - $5 - Limit 15 - Flyer
- March 28th - 6 pm - Tobacco & Vegetable GAP Meeting - Laurel County extension Office
The Governor’s Office for Agriculture Policy has funded the SOAR Small Production Loan Fund for a second round. These are loans up to $7,500 repayable over 5 years at 1% interest with year one, interest only. This is just the right amount of cash to get a small producer to the next level. You can call Jeff at 598-2789 for more information on SOAR.
The Southeast Kentucky Beekeepers meet at the Laurel County Extension Office on the 3rd Thursday of each month from March through October. Meetings begin with a potluck dinner at 6 pm, so please bring a covered dish to share. Whether you're an experienced beekeeper or just starting out, everyone is welcome!
The Beef IRM now has a facebook page. Jeff encourages all beef producers to visit and like the page. KY Beef IRM- http://www.facebook.com/KyBeefIRM
CHECK OUT THESE HELPFUL LINKS: